Thursday, June 19, 2008

Southern Crittenden County News: June 12, 2008

By Michelle Henderson and Matthew T. Patton

Local farmers have been extremely busy baling hay lately.

Carter Travis, 90, of Princeton, is in the hospital at Hopkinsville. Loya and Ann Travis of near Caldwell Springs have been visiting him often. Also on the hospital sick list is Lola Mae Patton.

Ruby Nell (Gallemore) Peek, 75, of Marion died last Tuesday. She was buried at Dycusburg.

A large crowd gathered for the funeral of Imogene Tabor, 97, at Caldwell Springs. She was a member there for more than 50 years and was the oldest living member. A potluck lunch was served afterwards. Several from the area have fond memories of her from Sunday school and Vacation Bible School at Caldwell Springs. Memorial contributions may be made to Caldwell Springs Cemetery Fund, c/o Houston Peek, 3211 SR 855S, Fredonia, KY 42411.

Caldwell Springs Baptist church holds regular weekly services. Bro. Shoney Oliver is the pastor there. Sunday school starts at 10 a.m., worship services begin at 11 a.m. The grounds of the church and the cemetery at Caldwell Springs are beautiful, especially the many historic stones at the cemetery built on a steep hill.

Attendance is increasing again at Seven Springs Baptist Church with 69 at Sunday School. We were happy to see Joy Knight back at church after an illness. Bro. Don Guess preached on Sunday.

Linda Stinnett and daughters Megan and Destiny Dutton enjoyed their time at Crayne Day on Saturday.

Congratulations to Dan and Michelle Henderson on their anniversary (June 14).

It's never to late to send a donation for the upkeep of the Dycusburg Cemetery. Donations may be sent to Faye Stinnett, P.O. Box 4, Dycusburg, KY 42037.

Wesley Lynch, formerly of Crittenden County, now of Amboy, Ill., would like to obtain a copy of the eighth grade Frances Elementary class photo of 1957-1958 if one exists. If you have a copy, please contact

Special thanks to Cecil Knight, owner of The Family Studios, who made a sizeable donation to the Dycusburg Community Group after taking family portraits at Dycusburg Baptist Church's fellowship hall.

The next roadside litter pick-up day at Dycusburg will be Saturday, June 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. We hope area residents will grab a trash bag and pitch in.

The concrete has been set for the foundation for the Veteran's Memorial Marker at Dycusburg.

A special, albeit belated, thanks to Mike and Linda Sutton who have been generously allowing the dump truck to be parked at their property during the recent clean up efforts. They have been quite supportive of the town.

The Dycusburg Community Group has been finalizing the plans for the July 4 celebration, dubbed "Red, White and Boom!" An expanded selection of food will be served at the Dycusburg Grocery that day, including burgers and barbeque. Later, the day's main event will be the Veteran's Memorial marker and park dedication at 6 p.m., followed by fireworks at 8:30 (sunset will be at 8:16 p.m. that day). Because we anticipate a large number of attendees for the dedication, live music and free fireworks show, parking (also free) will be attendant-supervised for everyone's convenience. Finally, please bring a lawn chair. Look for an advertisement in next week's newspaper detailing the events.

The staff of The Crittenden Press are to be commended for their outstanding efforts of late. We were happy to see two recent stories about Frances, both front page items. The most recent issue featured Frances-raised Scott A. Campbell who will be heading the Kentucky Army National Guard's 149th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, the largest organization in the Kentucky Guard. The other item was about Frances resident Billy Holcomb who has dozens of restored tractors and other antiquated farm equipment. If you miss an issue of The Crittenden Press, you're likely missing fine examples of award-winning reporting.

Starting this week, we'll be including interesting historical tidbits about the area. This week, we'll focus on Frances. According to papers published by M.F. Pogue, in 1874, Frances was known as “Crossroads,” because the Eddyville and Salem roads and the Dycusburg and Marion roads crossed there. According to tradition, sassafras and persimmon bushes, coupled with a few dilapidated log buildings made the residents look for another name for the meager village. The neighborhood was dubbed “Needmore.” In 1892, when the government decided that Needmore needed a post office, the residents submitted their name of choice, later to learn that Metcalfe County already had its own Needmore. After consultation (and after some unkind words relayed to the Postmaster General), the town was named “Frances,” in honor of Frances (Folsom) Cleveland, wife of President Grover Cleveland.

No comments: