Monday, April 21, 2014

Will of Margaret (Robertson) Bishop of Dycusburg (1861)

In the name of God, Amen. I Margaret P. Bishop of the town of Dycusburg, Crittenden County, State of Kentucky, being sick and weak in body but of sound mind and disposing memory for which I thank God and calling to mind the uncertainty of life and being desirous to dispose of all such worldly estate as it hast pleased God to bless me with, viz:

I will that my Negro woman Mary and her child John & Henry and lot of land in Dycusburg, Ky. being part of lot no. shall be sold after my death and the proceeds thereof to be distributed as follows, viz: To my brother W.H.H. Robinson, I give and bequeath of same two hundred dollars. To my sister Mrs. J.A. Wadlington two hundred dollars of said proceeds. To my niece Mrs. Margaret A. Baldwin, one hundred and fifty dollars of said proceeds. To my niece Margaret Ann Simms, one hundred and fifty dollars of said proceeds. To my nephew Coleman R. Sevells I give and bequeath one hundred dollars of said proceeds.

To my nephew R.R. Kelly I give and bequeath one hundred dollars of said proceeds and the balance of said proceeds from the sale of said Mary and her children John & Henry & lot of ground aforesaid. I give and bequeath unto my niece Mrs. M.E. Brooks, I also will and bequeath unto my niece Mrs. M.E. Brooks after all of my just debts and funeral expenses are paid all the balance of my property both real and personal not mentioned in this will.

I also hereby appoint and constitute my friend Mr. Giles S. Cobb to carry this will into affect and do not wish the county court of Crittenden County to require security of him for that purpose and it is my desire that if Mary’s child shall be born alive shall be sold with her and to be sold the Negroes & lot upon such terms as Mr. Cobb thinks best and I hereby revoke all former wills made by me previous of this date. Given under my hand this 2nd day of February, 1861. M.P. Bishop. Witnesses: John F. Gordon, D.B. Cassidy.

State of Kentucky. Crittenden County Court, March 12th, 1861. I Berry S. Young clerk of the County Court foresaid County hereby certify that on the 12th day of March 1861 the foregoing instrument purporting to be the last will and testament of Mrs. Margaret P. Bishop, decd., was produced in Court and proven to be her true last will and testament by the oath of John F. Gordon subscribing witness thereto and proven also by said Gordon that D. B. Cassidy subscribed said instrument as a witness thereto whereupon the same is ordered to be recorded whereupon I have duly recorded same and this certificate in my office. Given under my hand this 15th day of March, 1861. Berry S. Young, Clk.

No comments: