Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Dycusburg Baptist Has Roots at Caldwell Springs

(Editor's Note: The following is reprinted from a 1976 publication, The Churches in Our County, printed by the Crittenden County Ministerial Association, Marion, KY.)

Nestled in a peaceful little valley, surrounded by hills and trees, Caldwell Springs Baptist Church has been the center of this community for 130 years. Nearby is the spring from which the church was named.

The church was organized in 1844 by a group of Christians from New Bethel Baptist Church in what is now Lyon County. This is the fourth building to house the church. The first two were log structures, and the third a brick building. The present building was constructed about 1890 with educational facilities added later. Within the last five years, the auditorium has been completely remodeled.

In 1874, letters of dismissal were granted to 17 of its members who, under the leadership of this church, joined together to form Dycusburg Baptist Church.

Five country roads lead out from our church, and through the years, the message of God has traveled down these roads and influenced many lives.

As we think of the work carried out by this church over the past 130 years, we remember the promise of God, “My Word shall not return unto me void.”

2 comments:

gail holt said...

I have been tracing my ancestors. and ran across this article. I just visited fredonia back in the summer and went back to caldwell springs church, went down in the springs and went to cemetary. I am from Gibbs clan and have a lot of roots there.it was the first time i have been back since i was in third grade at fredonia elementary and talley bakers store was in full swing. I Tn outside of nashville. I still have lots of family there somewhere we have just lost touch. I am the daughter of the late william (Bill) Gibbs. His Father, Marvin C. GIbbs and his mother Mary C.Turley Gibbs and several more all buried at caldwell springs cemetary. I would love to hear from and swap memories with someone on this subject. Enjoyed reading about it.
You may contact me at
Gail Holt P.O. Box 994 Lebanon,Tn. 37088
or ph. (615) 673-5206
god bless you

Gail Holt said...

also i forgot to put my e-mail adyahoo.com

address. This is comment by Gail Holt

E-mail is gailsauction@